Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Goal Oriented

I am something of a goal oriented person.  Many of my friends have great goals; run a half marathon, run a full marathon, run a triathlon, etc.  My goals are a little less exhausting and usually involve adding rather than subtracting calories.  A friend of mine mentioned the 7x7 list of 100 things to eat and drink before you die.  

For those of you who don't know, San Francisco is a small city, only 7 miles by 7 miles in size.  But this small geographic area is packed full of amazing non-franchised restaurants all waiting for me to try them.  Here's the link to the list:

www.7x7.com/content/eat-drink/big-eat-sf-100-things-try-you-die

As soon as I got the list I went straight to La Taqueria in the Mission to try a tacos carnitas.  I've been wanting to go there for a couple years and this list gave me the perfect excuse.  I'm waiting for a new debit card to arrive (thought I lost my wallet) and was confined to whatever I could get for $7.44.  At first I ordered two tacos, but had to take back the carne asada taco when I realized I was 40 cents short.  I counted my coins like a little kid in a candy store and managed to have just enough for a small horchata.  Nice!

I must say it was a dang good taco.  The pork was perfectly cooked.  It wasn't too salty or overcooked like many carnitas I've tried.  The pork was so flavorful it held it's own against the corn tortilla and the fresh chopped tomatoes and pinto beans.  It made me long for the Filipino style pork; lechon.  Oh lechon how I love thee.  But I digress.  The horchata was also very tasty.  I didn't detect any grit from the spices and wasn't sure if that made it more or less authentic, but I enjoyed it just the same.  I  made the mistake of grabbing the bottle of green sauce on the table and squirting it on my already tasty taco.  For the next couple bites I tasted nothing but heat.  After the 4th bite I was back to the wonderful and clean flavors of the pork, beans and tomatoes.  Ahhh.

Nine items on the list down, only 91 more to go! Game on!


Things I like today:
-Cinco de Mayo (don't all of us brown folks celebrate today?)
-lechon
-green mangoes (see Burnt Lumpia's blog)
-friends who scheme on your behalf
-Saturday morning breakfast at Mama's with Lisa
-sugar free dark chocolate jello pudding with whip cream
-crushes on guys I've never met (i.e Ming Tsai, Linecook, and Taye Diggs)
-the promise of tomorrow
-Sundays in San Francisco

No comments: